Friday, May 25, 2007

irrelevant blog.

I apologize for reverting back and not posting any legimate english type things but I haven't blogged in a while and I feel compelled to, but on the other hand I have not felt inspired to work on my story and unless I feel the burning desire of creativities flame from inside me my writing ends up turning out bad... I mean I wrote a paragraph for it and I'm like this is sooo dull and boring.... I think that is what seperates good from bad.
Good writing will remain compelling even when the situation is not some burning over the top moment of intrigue.... which makes me think of one of the most profound (and perhaps incorrect thing) I've heard reccently. "Plot is merely the device used to get themes across in writing." or in other words plot is neglible. Also this quotation wasn't from some ENG prof @ university land... it was actually said to me by a friend (who is taking Studies in Lit, granted).
Another interesting thing I heard about plot reccently was by George Elliot Clarke, who we were fortunate enough to have visit our school reccently... what he said was perhaps a cliche about writing but he said that all stories have already been told but what makes the stories come alive again is how you tell them and the characters you put in them.
He was a very remarkable reader, when he got going he was so into his words you couldn't help but stay focused on him and feel what he was feeling.
This also is a bit off topic, but I do feel a sort of need to include this too: there is a kitten near my bus stop who was hit and is now dead. He is not bloodied (to the best of my sight, I haven't taken a good look at him) so it just looks like he is lying there- innocently sleeping. I find it so sad that babies need to grow up in a world full of harm.

No comments: