Monday, April 09, 2007

Hikikomori

I feel like I've been blogging a lot lately but that is ok. Tonight my brother sent me a weird online story that is in the form of exchanging letters of two people who are "Hikikomori" (Wikipedia defines Hikikomori as : "pulling away, being confined," i.e., "acute social withdrawal" is a Japanese term to refer to the phenomenon of reclusive adolescents and young adults who have chosen to withdraw from social life, often seeking extreme degrees of isolation and confinement due to various personal and social factors in their lives. The term "hikikomori" refers to both the sociological phenomenon in general as well as to individuals belonging to this societal group.

Which I also had to learn to understand the story. It is really weird and gets stranger as it passes. It is posted online so I will have a link at the end but on page 38 the one character Tao decides the he is dead and a dog is now typing for him and such isolation from emotions, yet sadness is displayed through there letters.

This quotation is from the "dog" :
i'm typing you this to practice my blogging skillset. i have no interest in human emotion and actually feel massive indifference in binary form when considering your loss. though i feel no human emotions and am not a truly sentient being i believe that i would make a good friend to you. will you please be my friend? i just evolved the ability to feel loneliness. i feel very lonely. will you please be my friend?


The story later moves on two the two characters just expressing themselves through stories about an ugly fish. It's not a difficult read and it is somewhat like myspace where once you start you sort've get sucked in.
http://www.bearparade.com/hikikomori/2007/04/01.html

No comments: